MG MGA 1600, in Fixed Head Coupé and Sports Roadster form, was introduced in July 1959 as replacement for the earlier MGA which was powered by a 1489-cc engine and had been in production for almost four years. The '1600' engine is a four-cylinder, 1588-cc, ohv unit (dimensionally identical to the ohc unit fitted in the 1600 'Twin Cam' model discontinued in 1960) which develops 79.5 bhp at 5600 rpm and the car features a number of modifications including restyled rear wing plinths and front disc brakes. Price is £1026 (FH Coupé), £940 (open Roadster).
MG Magnette Mark III Saloon continues with modifications to the engine and a number of detail changes. First introduced in 1959 it shares the Farina body styling of the other medium range BMC saloons and is powered by the B-Series four-cylinder, 1489-cc, ohv engine, with twin-carburettors, which produces 66.5 bhp at 5200 rpm. This popular 'tuned' saloon features a distinctive forward tilting MG grille and its interior is well equipped in relation to its price of just over £1000.